Learning how to irrigate your ears safely is important as the inner ear region is very delicate. Cleaning them incorrectly can result in injury and in a worst case scenario loss of hearing. An Ear Nose and Throat doctor can always irrigate your ears safely, just call to make an appointment.
ENT Birmingham AL – 5 Tips For Ear Irrigation
1. Baby Oil– Baby oil works wonders when it comes to wax build up. Just a few drops into your ear can easily remove wax without irritating the ear canal.
2. Saline Rinse– Saline is a saltwater solution is safe to use for your ears. Using a syringe to rinse the inner ear but do not insert the device into the ear canal. It is most comfortable to warm the saline solution to room temperature as this can help to prevent dizziness that has been known to occasionally occur.
3. Visit A Professional– A ENT specialist has all the tools needed to properly clean your ears in a timely fashion. This is a great way to have your ears cleaned if you are nervous about doing it yourself.
4. No Ear Candles– Ear candles used to be popular a few years ago but recently the FDA has been warning people to stay away from ear candles due to harmful effects they can have on your ear health.
5. No Cotton Swabs– Cotton swabs can actually do more damage than good. People have used them ineffectively for many years and they have been known to cause hearing issues. Cotton swabs can injure the inner ear and push wax deeper into the ear canal making it harder to remove.
If you have questions or concerns regarding your ear health we can help!
Call Shelby Ear Nose and Throat Associates if you’re looking for an ENT Doctor in Birmingham, Shelby County, Alabaster, Pelham, Calera or Hoover at (205) 621-8900.