Are you having trouble swallowing? If so, you might be suffering from a medical condition called dysphagia. An ENT has the best expertise to properly diagnose this condition but there are some conditions that may cause this symptom.
ENT Birmingham AL – Dysphagia 101
Dysphagia is more commonly known as difficulty swallowing. In some cases, this can become severe and dangerous.
Lets break down what happens when a person with this condition is trying to swallow:
The muscles inside the esophagus push food down as it travels towards the stomach. When a person suffers from dysphagia these muscles contract and can prevent food and liquid from moving. This can be very uncomfortable and even scary especially while eating or drinking.
Causes Of Dysphagia
Many conditions can cause dysphagia. Below is a list of common conditions that might cause difficulty when swallowing.
1. An immune system problem could be the culprit. This can lead to weakness and inflammation of the throat muscles and cause them to become tight making it difficult to swallow food and liquids.
2. Esophageal spasms can happen at any time. It is not always clear what causes this condition but it can become dangerous while consuming food or liquid as the person could choke.
3. If you have had a stroke or a brain injury recently, you could also suffer from dysphagia. In fact, tightening of the throat is a common side effect of both of these injuries.
4. Those with multiple sclerosis often have difficulty swallowing their food. Depending on the severity of the disease this may occur frequently.
5. Masses in the throat can cause food to get stuck in the esophagus. The cause of these masses will have to be determined by a medical professional.
If you have questions or concerns regarding your ear health we can help! Call Shelby Ear Nose and Throat Associates if you’re looking for an ENT Doctor in Birmingham, Shelby County, Alabaster, Pelham, Calera or Hoover at (205) 621-8900.