Lumps in your throat can be stressful if you don’t know the cause. There can be many different reasons for lumps in the throat region and most are nothing to worry about. An Ear, Nose and Throat doctor can determine the root of the problem. Today we are going to take a look at several common causes of throat lumps.
ENT Birmingham – Potential Causes
1. Food Allergies- This is a very common cause and can range from serious to minor. Depending on the severity of your food allergy, will determine how soon you should see your ENT. If you notice lumps combined with swelling, make sure to get checked out right away even if your only option is the emergency room.
2. Strep Throat– This common ailment plagues thousands of people every year. While strep throat is painful and contagious, it is not serious most of the time. Only your ENT can give you a proper diagnosis, so make sure to see them right away if you think you may have strep.
3. Thyroid Disease– This can be a more serious issue although thyroid disease can be safely controlled with proper medication and diet. Make sure to see your ENT right away if you think you have this condition.
4. Bacterial Infection– Many different types of bacterial infection can cause lumps to appear in the throat. Some are serious while others will clear up with proper medication. Please visit your ENT for a proper checkup.
5. Swollen Lymph Nodes– This is another common problem that can have a variety of causes. Many of these causes are benign and are no real reason to worry. If you notice your neck starting to feel sore, it could be because of swollen lymph nodes.
Call Shelby Ear Nose and Throat Associates if you’re looking for an ENT Doctor in Birmingham, Shelby County, Alabaster, Pelham, Calera or Hoover at (205) 621-8900.