Acid reflux is also known as GERD. It is a digestive disorder that attacks the lower esophageal sphincter which causes a burning sensation.
GERD can also cause other throat related health problems. Normally an ENT can help alleviate the symptoms of acid reflux but there are things that you can do at home to help as well.
ENT Birmingham – Five Tips To Help Prevent Acid Reflux
1. Limit fluid intake- When eating, a great way to reduce the risk of acid reflux is to limit fluid intake. Liquid can fill the belly causing more pressure on your esophagus.
2. Lose weight- Belly fat can add pressure to your stomach and cause acid to become an issue. By losing weight you can feel better and be healthier.
3. Exercise- Exercise will not only help you lose weight but can also help you avoid a bout of acid reflux. Working out aids in digestion which is good when dealing with GERD.
4. Cut out fat- Fat is harder to digest than lean meats. So cutting it out is a great way to help reduce your risk of suffering with acid reflux. Try to replace fatty meats such as beef and pork with fish, chicken or turkey.
5. Eliminate trigger foods- Foods such as tomatoes, oranges and other foods containing acid can make GERD much worse. Try to find out which foods trigger your acid reflux and avoid them as much as possible.
If you are struggling with acid reflux or have any questions or concerns about GERD we can help! Call Shelby Ear Nose and Throat Associates if you’re looking for an ENT Doctor in Birmingham, Shelby County, Alabaster, Pelham, Calera or Hoover at (205) 621-8900.