For many, snoring is caused by not being able to move air freely in and out of the body while sleeping. While some people think snoring is funny, it can actually be a sign of a serious condition. Here are some of the common causes:
ENT Birmingham – Common Causes of Snoring
- Age– Chronic snoring seems to affect people more as they age. As you get older, your throat becomes narrower which makes it harder to breathe while lying down.
- Weight– When there is more fatty tissue in the body, it makes it harder to breathe which can make you snore.
- Being Out Of Shape– Like being overweight, being out of shape can affect the way you breathe at night. Being out of shape does not necessarily mean one is overweight. If your body has poor muscle control it is unable to properly regulate the breathing process.
- Nasal/Sinus Issues– These factors play a huge roll in your ability to properly breathe at night. To determine if your snoring is caused by these factors you should consult your local Ear Nose and Throat doctor.
Here are some tips that may help prevent snoring and bring you some relief:
- Stop Smoking– Smoking is not only bad for your overall health, it can also cause you to snore. When your sinuses become irritated by inhaling smoke, there is a greater chance that you will snore at night.
- Lose Weight And Exercise– Losing weight and having an exercise regime has helped many people stop snoring. Start slowly by taking walks for 30 minutes a day.
- Seek Professional Help– The smartest way to stop snoring is by making an appointment with your Ear Nose and Throat doctor. They can determine the cause of your snoring and can give you medical advice on how to fix it.
Call Shelby Ear Nose and Throat Associates if you’re looking for an ENT Doctor in Birmingham, Shelby County, Alabaster, Pelham, Calera or Hoover at (205) 621-8900.